mx5 as a daily driver? 

4 replies to this topic

#1 Emil

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi guys,

I am after some advice from MX5 owners (past or present). I am considering buying an mx5 as a daily driver but am concerned about it being a convertible. Things like the extra noise, lack of security, rain. What is it like using an mx5 as daily transport? Is it negligible? Is it much noisier, how well does the soft top keep rain out? How long does the soft top they last?

I would appreciate any advice/experiences you can share about using an mx5 as a daily car.

#2 flying_higher

• Car:Suprise

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

hey mate for a daily u prob best getting something a little more roomy also parking a daily with soft top makes it bad as there are a holes who will tear the roof etc unless u buy the hardtop models late model ones or buy the hardtop for the old models which is bolted on. prob too much hassle for a daily.

#3 serious14_guy

• Car:rx7

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

my mate has one (that is his only car) and that is alright for a daily. noise isn't too much of an issue and they are good on fuel but as above there isn't much room and the soft tops can get torn.
the older ones are pretty expensive for what they are (most 89 - 92 models are asking around $12k with high kms), but the newer ones aren't much more (about $14k for a 94 - 96 with the 1.8).
also definitely get the 1.8, i've driven two 1.8s and one 1.6 and the 1.6 had crap brakes and had trouble going up hills

#4 Monstar_100

• Car:Ducati

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

get one... find one with a hard top... there are tonnes of parts for them and super cheap to run... chances are you will sell you weekend/project car to do up the MX5...

#5 Run-It-Hard

• Car:R33

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Monstar_100, on Jul 29 2009, 04:29 PM, said:

get one... find one with a hard top... there are tonnes of parts for them and super cheap to run... chances are you will sell you weekend/project car to do up the MX5...

if you do get one, this will happen!

i DD'd mine for a while, now i bought something more economical, as the build for the 5 is starting to get a little crazy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!