Looking at buying a S6 rx7 

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jays15

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi All

I am looking at getting a RX7 S6 import and just after peoples opinion on what to look out for?

I have been doing some reading and a trend is, the motor will need to be rebuild around 100,000km? is there any truth in this?

Can a come test be done one rotaries still? can a leak down test be done also? just want to know what im buying.

If they do need a rebuild, what is a build back to standard spec cost? (roughly)

What are some common problems with the S6? EG, overheating or anything like that?

All advise is greatly appreciated!!!!

#2 QIK RX7

• Car:rx7 series8

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

hey buddy is this for track use as it cant be registered in oz unless its a series 8

#3 spinning_rotary

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

rotaries are notorious for breaking down after a certain age, even though rotary enthusiast will tell you different sides of the story. if it's a street car and you're planning on keeping it stock, the original engine should be fine. a thing you may need to look out for is the apex seals on the engine, as these are usually the first part in the rotary that wears out after a while. if you're just looking for a cheap fix for an everyday car, i don't imagine it would cost too much to just get the seals replaced when you get the car.

if you're chasing for more power, rebuilding would be essential, and you should also take the opportunity to toughen the engine up as well.

one thing that really tells the age of the car is the turbo. if the rx7 you're getting still has its originally twin turbo setup (i assume it has, unless it's been modified to a single turbo), try and rev the car up and engage the 2nd turbo. one thing most people notice in older rotaries is that after a while, there is a significant drop in boost when the car disengages the first and engages the secondary turbo. i don't mean a drop in boost as in 1-3 seconds, as that is normal, but closer to 10s. if you have that, the turbo may be in need for a refresh.

other than that, i think the rest is the norm when you're buying any other car. suspensions, tyres, brakes, etc. good luck with your import

#4 Andrew Chao

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

themore boost goes into the engine, the more your seal will come out, rx7s before the series 8 has a messy twin turbo control with a ton of vacuum lines. so best to get one with a series 8 turbo swap if reliability is of concern.

#5 Stig Mick

• Car:shit box

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

as this was a year ago, i'm sure he made his mind up by now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!